Saturday, August 6, 2011

Reality sets in


Since returning from Labrador I have taken out four different beginner clients.  One to the Swift River and three to the Saco and Ellis Rivers.  Now I know what sports commentators mean when they say, "[insert name of all-time great star]____________ plays a different game than the rest of us."  Well, Labrador is different brook trout fishing than anything I have previously experienced.  Am I "ruined" for local fishing?  I don't think so.  It is still fun and rewarding, but definitely different.  There are contrasts in the size of fish, the remoteness and "pristineness" of the rivers, but after you get past the scale of things, it is still fly fishing. Still fun. Still connects you to the environment and still done in beautiful places.  Also, the folks that learned how to fly fish and caught their first trout on a fly were just as excited (maybe more so!) than I was catching 5+ pound brook trout in Labrador.
And just like I was out of my familiar locale in Labrador, these folks were far from their homes in Frankfurt, Germany, Brooklyn, NY and Cleveland, OH.  To them, our New England trout streams are  exotic, pristine and beautiful, and their enthusiasm and wonder are contagious.  Not a bad version of reality, huh?

3 comments:

  1. I know what your saying. I find just as much joy in trying to fool a sunfish on a beautiful warm day when it wouldn't be wise to fish for other species. Seeing a new fly fishers smile after they have successfully executed what you taught them is one of the greatest rewards we can receive. Hope the weather was nice!

    My nephew may be playing hockey this coming season in Summerside PEI To bad there isn't any fish up there :(
    :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think if you dig deep, you'll find fish in addition to PEI 'taters!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you had a great time out there, very unique and nice fishes you have caught in the small water!

    ReplyDelete