Sunday, July 22, 2012

Hot fishing in the summer heat

Yesterday I had a trip with a father and sons who I had taught to fly fish a couple summers ago.  The last time we went it was in August during a drought/heat wave, same as yesterday.  H-m-m-m, I see a pattern developing here.  Friday I spent most of the day scouting for cool water and fish.  Luckily, I found some, so yesterday turned out to be a good day.  They were staying in Whitefield, in order to be near some cool water in the White Mountain area.  The streams I checked out were running at 70F, so the Connecticut River tailwater became the destination of choice.  We caught fish in North Stratford and hit the jackpot in Columbia.  When we got there, there were locals with lawn chairs and spinning rods lined up on the gravel bar.  It was a Saturday, so a crowd was no surprise.  I told the guys we would fish for a while and if it was too crowded, we would move along to another spot.  We waded to the center of the river out of the range of the bank-sitters, who must have gotten word of a visit by the hatchery truck. My guys proceeded to sting or hook-up with many, many rainbows.  The water temp started at 63F and was at 69F when we reeled up and headed south.  Here are some pictures of the trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment